I love working with women leaders. In part because the women leaders with whom I work–especially the very best–constantly strive to be “better.” They know that when they are at the top of their leadership game, they are better equipped to build, lead and inspire high-performing teams that deliver results.
While every leader has her own unique leadership style, I’ve noticed that all the great leaders with whom I’ve worked have a similar mindset. Just below, I share how the “great ones” approach their leadership journey. I hope these insights will in turn inspire you on your own journey to becoming the leader you want (and need) to be in 2018.
1. Great Leaders Focus and Commit – and Relentlessly Invest in Themselves
Leadership Tip: While wanting to be a better leader is a good start…it’s not enough.
- Action Plan:This is work. Every great leader is committed to, focused on and disciplined around becoming “greater.”
- Schedule it. Want to be a great leader? Open your calendar right now and make a 2-hour date with yourself once/week for the next 90 days. Relentlessly commit to these dates.
- Create a leadership vision statement and plan. Begin your journey by documenting your response to one question: “One year from today, my boss/colleagues/direct reports will say I’m a great leader because …”. Your response will serve as your leadership ‘compass’ for 2018.
2. Great Leaders Uncover and CELEBRATE Their Natural Leadership Strengths…then Leverage Them
Leadership Tip: What is your “natural” leadership style? Are you a pioneeringleader? A deliberative leader? A commanding leader? Whatever your ‘natural’ leadership style, uncover it, embrace it, celebrate it, then leverage it to get the results you want.
Commit to investing in yourself (and your organization) and complete the“Work of Leaders”™ leadership self-assessment – the best leadership tool I’ve seen in 30 years. My highest-performing clients have used this powerful tool to discover their natural leadership style; which of 18 leadership best practices come naturally to them; and which are more challenging. This compelling information will accelerate your journey to great leadership as well.
3. Great Leaders Envision the Future.
They See it…Sell it…Do it.
Leadership Tip: All great leaders “Repair the plane while it’s flying.” In other words, while managing their business day-to-day, they envision what will be ‘better’ one year from now, actively engage and align their team around that vision, and then successfully execute to bring their vision to life.
- Action Plan:Begin the visioning process by visiting our website to respond to and reflect on the thoughtful questions we pose.
Get started NOW: We would welcome the opportunity to spend 30 minutes with you to chat about your next steps to becoming a better leader. Make 2018 the year you build, lead and inspire a high-performing team that gets results.